Monday, July 14, 2008

Painting for socks

I tried to paint my own sock yarn this weekend. Following the directions in the new Knitpicks catalog, (I could not wait for my order to arrive) I knitted together two strands of an off white sock yarn that I found in my stash. I made the strip about calf width and just knit in a stockingknit pattern on size 8 needles unil I ran out of yarn. The finished length was about 4 feet long, I did not worry about the rolled edges. I laid out the wet panel on a piece of plastic on the kitchen counter ( For safety reasons, I know its not a good thing to work in the kitchen, but it was way too hot on the patio). Then, I began to paint the first rows of blue stripes about 3 inches apart. In between a put a red stripe, then between those stripes, I filled in with yellow. You can see in the first photo that the yellow has begun to move into the blue creating green.
I steamed the plastic wrapped panel for 1/2 hour. Let cool and hung to dry. Drying the panel on the back fence only took about an hour. I took the dried panel to my nephew's graduation party, where my mother-in-law helped seperate and roll into two balls.
I worked yesterday, but it was very quiet in the morning, so I had time to knit. I almost always use an afterthought heel in socks- that's the white stripe. The fun part will be knitting the next sock to see if it really matches.

No comments: