Sunday, August 24, 2008

Saturday evening kayaks

We took the kayaks out Parvin State Park Saturday evening. In the middle of the lake I saw a dead fish floating by and I almost picked it up, to show Tom what I caught. But I thought better of it and let it go past. Seconds later, I heard splashing behind me. I turned and saw a bald eagle fighting a seagull for the fish. The seagull lost and the eagle flew to a tree on the other side of the lake. I uess he ate it in the tree. It was quite a thrilling sight. It has been rumored that a pair of bald eagles were nesting near the lake. I had seen them from a distance one other time, but never as close as Saturday night. I'm Glad they have returned to the area. I hope they remain. It was quite a site. It all happened so fast that I was not able to get a photo.The swans are a less wild and let you get quite close. Although they do hiss at you if you get too close.



Tom took his fishing pole, but realized when he got on the lake that he forgot his license. However he did catch a red plaid shirt (the one he was wearing) with one of his fishing lores, hooked it in the back and it gave quite a fight, embedding the hooks quite deeply. So in the middle of the lake I had to cut out the hooks, to permit him to paddle himself to shore. Not quite a fish, but something pretty big, about 175 lbs. Top that britknitter's sister.

No comments: